Important Study Permit Information International Students Should Know

Here are a few important reminders Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) is sharing with study permit holders on a number of key immigration issues.

Updating information about your designated learning institution (DLI)

  • International students must update IRCC each time they change post-secondary schools. Changing the post-secondary school in their IRCC account is free and can be done online.
  • When a student does not tell IRCC that they have changed their DLI, they are reported to IRCC by their previous school as not attending class.
  • This can lead to an investigation into failing to comply with their study permit conditions. It could ultimately result in the student being required to leave Canada.

Updating your contact information

  • International students must keep their contact information up to date with IRCC. Students can change their residential address by using our Web form.

Reminders of working in Canada while studying

Before your program begins:

  • An international student whose study permit allows them to work on-campus, off-campus, or both can begin working in Canada when they start their study program.
  • International students cannot work before their studies begin.

Working while you study:

  • During regular school semesters, students who are allowed to work off-campus may work a maximum of 20 hours per week.
  • During scheduled breaks in the school year, such as during winter and summer holidays, you may work full-time.
  • There is no maximum number of hours eligible students may work on-campus.

Learn more about the conditions under which international students can work by visiting IRCC’s website.

Completing your program and working:

  • International students must stop working as soon as they receive confirmation from their DLI that they have met all the requirements for graduation.
  • However, a student who has completed their program, and who was eligible to work off-campus during their studies, can begin working full-time again if they submit their application for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP) while their study permit is still valid.
  • If their PGWP application is refused, they must stop working immediately.
  • Students should not apply for a PGWP to the Canada Border Services Agency at a port of entry.
  • As students who apply for a PGWP before their study permit expires are authorized to work while their PGWP application is in process, there should be no reason to apply for a PGWP at a port of entry.

It is important that international students comply with the conditions of their study permit. Failing to comply with these conditions, including the rules around working on- and off-campus, can lead to enforcement action and affect the student’s future applications for immigration programs.

Useful links

Do you still have questions about your Study Permit? You can always contact one of our Regulated International Student Immigration Advisors (RISIAs). Learn how to contact them here.