Filing Taxes in Canada as an International Student

Doing your taxes does not need to be difficult. Here’s everything you need to know about filing your taxes in Canada as an international student.

Income tax in Canada

The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) administers tax laws for the Government of Canada, and the income tax year is from January 1 to December 31.

The deadline to file a tax income in Canada, for most individuals, is April 30.

If you are employed in Canada, your employer will deduct income tax from your wages and send this money to the CRA.

Do international students need to file taxes in Canada?

International students can file a tax return to receive tax credits (money back from the government or the chance to lower taxes later).

You should file a tax return if you expect an income tax return from the government, are applying for GST/HST credit, are eligible to receive the child tax credit, or if you might earn more income in Canada later.

You must file a tax return if:

  • Owe income tax to the government
  • Are asked by the CRA to file a return

Documents needed

To file a tax return, you will need:

  • Social Insurance Number (SIN): To apply for a SIN, you must have a study permit which includes a condition or remark to work on and/or off-campus.
  • T2202A: Tuition fees paid for the tax year. You can download your T2202A from your myTRU account.
  • T4: Employment income and deductions. You should receive your T4 from your employer.
  • T4A: Scholarships and bursaries.

How to file for taxes

TRUSU Taxation Club Workshop

Every winter semester, the TRUSU Taxation Club hosts tax filing workshops for free for TRU students. Keep an eye on their Facebook page to know when the next workshop will take place.


NETFILE is an electronic tax-filing service that allows you to send your individual income tax and benefit return directly to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) using the Internet and a NETFILE-certified software product.

By mail

Find the forms you need to submit your tax return by paper. When you submit your first tax return, you should send your return to International Tax Services Office, Returns Processing Division, 2204 Walkley Road, Ottawa, ON, K1A 1A8.

Tax preparation firms

There are many tax preparation firms who will file your taxes for a charge. Firms in Kamloops include H&R Block, Liberty Tax Services, and others.

Other resources

There are many resources online to help you with filing your taxes.