Everything You Need To Know About Your Study Permit

International students who plan on studying in Canada for a period greater than six months need to have a valid Study Permit. It applies to students coming to TRU from their home countries or abroad, from another college or university, or from a high-school in Canada.

A Study Permit is a document that allows foreign nationals to study at designated learning institutions (DLI) in Canada. A study permit is not a visa. It doesn’t let you enter Canada. You may also need a visitor visa or an electronic travel authorization (eTA).

When to apply

You can apply for a Study Permit once you have received your Final Letter of Acceptance (LOA) from TRU. Study Permit processing times may differ per country, so we recommend students to start gathering all the necessary documents once they receive their Conditional Letter of Acceptance (CLOA) from TRU.

Find out what documents you need before you apply.

How to apply

If you’re coming from outside Canada

You can apply for your initial Study Permit online, by mail, or in-person at a Visa Application Centre in your country of residence.

If you’re coming from a high-school, college or university in Canada

If you’re in Canada, you must apply for a Study Permit extension within 90 days of receiving written communication that you have completed your current program. Make sure to submit your application before your Study Permit expires.

If you have left Canada prior to applying for your Study Permit, you must apply for an initial Study Permit from outside Canada. Please refer to the instructions above.

If you are transferring from another institution in Canada prior to finishing your program and your Study Permit is still valid, you can continue to use your current Study Permit but you must transfer your Designated Learning Institute (DLI) number.

Submitting biometrics and medical exams (if applicable)


You can submit your biometrics (fingerprints and photo) in-person at the nearest biometrics collection point.

Some students may need to travel within their home country or in some cases, apply for a visa to travel to another country to submit biometrics. Find out more about how to give biometrics.

Medical exams

You may be required to complete a medical exam. You must find a panel physician approved by the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada to do medical exams. Costs of medical exams vary from country to country.

How you’ll get your Study Permit

If you’re coming from outside Canada

If your study permit application is approved, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) will email you a Letter of Introduction (also known as ‘port of entry’ letter). This letter must be printed and presented to the border officer when you arrive at the Canadian border or airport. The border officer will then issue your Study Permit.

Upon receiving your Study Permit, make sure to review all information such as your full name, date of birth, name of institution, program, etc.

If you’re coming from a high-school, college or university in Canada

If your Study Permit application has been approved in Canada, IRCC will mail your Study Permit to the Canadian address you provided.

Coming to Canada

After your study permit has been approved, you will automatically be issued a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA), depending on your country of citizenship.

If you are from a TRV-required country, you will need to submit your passport to have your TRV (also known as a ‘visa’) inserted.


If you have been accepted to TRU and have questions about your Study Permit application, you can contact our Registered International Student Immigration Advisors (RISIAs) at [email protected].