Traveling Outside Canada as an International Student

Planning to leave Canada for a short period of time? As an International Student, confirm that you have all necessary documents and information before leaving and re-entering the country!  Take this information into consideration as it is from my personal experience – but don’t forget that rules can change over time, so please also visit the Government of Canada official website.


You should confirm that you have all the necessary documents to re-enter Canada after your trip. You can find some helpful tips at the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)’s website.

Additional information to help you prepare:

  • Before leaving Canada, confirm that you have a Valid Passport,  Temporary Resident Visa or Electronic Travel Authorization (if applicable), and up-to-date TRU admission or enrolment letter provided by the International Admissions Office, all in hand.
  • Service at the border is available in English and French. Answer questions truthfully and consistently.
  • Plan ahead your journey to your destination. If arriving in Vancouver, you can check buses or flights to Kamloops.


Travelling to the U.S.

Entering the U.S.

Before planning your trip, make sure to confirm if you need a visa to enter the US. If you need a visitor visa, you can learn how to apply here. For inquiries about US visas, you can contact the U.S. Consulate General Vancouver directly.

When crossing the border, make sure you have all the required documents, in hand.

  • Valid Passport
  • Valid visa issued by a U.S. Consular Official (unless you are a citizen of a country eligible for the Visa Waiver Program, a lawful permanent resident of the U.S. or a Canadian citizen)
  • Any other supporting documents. Examples are:
    • Evidence that you have strong ties back to Canada, which will indicate to the officer that you have a reason to come back after your US trip is completed. (i.e.: Visa Letter issued by the International Admissions Office)
    • Evidence that shows the purpose of the trip, intent to depart the United States after the trip, and arrangements made to cover the costs of the trip. (i.e.: Trip Itinerary; Bank statement for the past 3 months)

Re-entering Canada

If you have a valid Study Permit and you leave Canada to visit solely the United States by land (i.e.: driving), you do not need a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) to re-enter Canada, as long as you return to Canada by the end of an authorized period of your stay.  For more information, please refer to the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations, Part 9, Division 5, Section 190(3)(f).

Now that you have all your documents set, it is time to plan your trip – where will you go next?